Sunday, March 16, 2014

Green Cabbage and Jicama Slaw

I know, I know, I know...I'm late getting this post up.  I promised it to you on Friday (if you follow me on instagram: 7DifferentRecipes...follow me....right now!) but I have several really good reasons!  Remember how I told you my MacBook wasn't working? (read this post if you haven't already)  Well, I had to take it to Denver (a four hour drive from where I live) to get it inspected.  Notice how I didn't say, "to get it fixed!"  Apparently the problem will take 3-5 days to fix and since I am NOT planning on driving back to Denver anytime soon I had to bring it home with me.  So you see, I spent all day Friday driving to Denver, trying to find the Apple Store (a nightmare in Friday afternoon Denver traffic) and then found out that it would not get fixed.  I stayed the night in Denver so I didn't have access to another computer with which to post this amazing recipe.  Saturday I had to pick up my oldest son, who is 15 years old, from the airport and proceeded to drive back home from Denver.  When I finally got home I had to take my mother-in-law to Walmart to get a prescription filled only to arrive at Walmart at 7:30 pm and find out that the pharmacy was already closed...lucky me!  Plus, you know I'm a full-time student now too.  I had an assignment due today that I have been putting off all week.  Yes!  I'm a procrastinator when it comes to school work, especially when I'm taking online classes.  I'm hoping you'll forgive me, if you promise to forgive me I'll post two recipes today...deal?  Ok good!  I like that we can work together for a common good!


Today's recipe is another great one for St. Patrick's Day. Yes, I know that's tomorrow and you've probably already done your grocery shopping for the next week (two weeks if you are me) but you probably have most of these ingredients on hand already so I'm sure you can just add this to your menu for tomorrow.  The jicama and pear in this slaw recipe give it a sweetness while the apple cider vinegar gives it a great tartness.  And if you like things a little spicy you can add more of your favorite hot sauce to give it a real kick.  I'm kinda whimpy so I only added two little dashes!

Ok, blogger is really confusing me right now....it keeps underlining jicama like I'm spelling it wrong.  Am I?  I looked it up online and dictionary.com says it's right.  Strange...and very confusing!

Green Cabbage & Jicama Slaw
Ingredients
1/2 head of green cabbage, sliced into thin strips
1/2 large jicama, grated (I used my food processor)
3 carrots, grated (food processor again)
1 green pear, peeled, cored and diced
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup cilantro
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
dash or two of your favorite hot sauce
salt and pepper to taste.

Directions
1. Combine green cabbage, jicama, carrots, pear and almonds in a large mixing bowl.
2. In a separate, smaller bowl, combine remaining ingredients to create the dressing for the slaw.
3. Pour and mix the dressing with the cabbage mixture and allow to sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment