Sunday, March 16, 2014

Leprechaun Green Fizz (kid-friendly drink)


As promised, two recipes in one day!  This is my take on a kid-friendly St. Patrick's Day drink.  There really isn't a recipe for this drink, more a method.  I got the idea for this drink when I was searching through Pinterest one day for drink ideas and I came across this really cool red, white and blue drink for 4th of July.  I thought my green drink for St. Patrick's Day would look cooler than it does, but in the end, taste matters more than looks and my little boys LOVED this drink.  In order to get the layering effect you need to pick drinks with different sugar contents.  The drink with the heaviest (or largest amount) of sugar goes on the bottom.  For my drink above I have Mountain Dew on the bottom, I don't know if you could find a green tinted drink with more sugar than Mountain Dew!  Please let me know if you do!  The middle layer, which is difficult to see in my picture, is Sprite and the top layer is green (lemon-lime flavor) Kool-Aid.  Unfortunately for me, I think the Sprite and the Kool-Aid had close to the same sugar content.  I made the Kool-Aid from the small pouch of drink mix so I really had no idea what the sugar content was on it, I was just taking a guess that it was less than the Sprite.  To make the drink put a little bit of ice on the bottom of your glass and pour in the Mountain Dew, fill only about 1/4 of the glass.  Next fill the glass to the top with more ice then slowly pour in the Sprite, about 2/3 of the glass should be full now with liquid.  Finally, slowly pour in the Kool-Aid until full.  The trick is to pour the last two liquids SLOWLY so that they sit on top of the layer before it, instead of mixing with it.

Here is a great video that explains the process a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment