Thursday, February 2, 2012

BBQ Style Meatloaf


I was never a fan of meatloaf growing up.  Of course, I don't remember my mom making meatloaf all that often so maybe that's why.  One day while browsing through my Cooking Light cookbook I found a recipe for a meatloaf that sounded pretty tasty, and it was!  After that I decided that maybe meatloaf wasn't as awful as I had originally thought so I started coming up with different combinations.  This is just one of those.


BBQ Style Meatloaf
















Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 cup bread crumbs
1 egg
1/2 cup diced bell pepper
1/2 cup diced red onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
1/2 cup ketchup, divided
1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
 1 tablespoon grill seasoning

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Grease a bread pan or cookie sheet. (I use a cookie sheet and shape the meat mixture into a loaf shape, but using a bread pan would work also)
3. Mix all ingredients except 1/4 cup of ketchup in a large mixing bowl, I find that mixing it with one of my hands works much better than a spoon.
4. Put mixture into (or onto) your greased pan.  Top mixture with remaining ketchup.
5. Bake for 1 hour or until meat reaches 160 degrees internally.

The liquid smoke can be left out of the recipe.  I like to add it because I think it gives it a nice smoky flavor, like you would get if you really grilled it.  I know that sometimes it can be difficult to find in the grocery store.  If I remember correctly, I found it near the A1 and BBQ sauces...but I am getting old so my memory could be really off! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment