Thursday, February 2, 2012

Chai Spiced Steel Cut Oats




I've just recently discovered steel cut oats.  Honestly, I didn't like them at first, but I'd made more than one serving and didn't want to waste them.  I put the leftovers in the fridge and saved them for another morning.  The first morning when I made them they were kind of slimy and I didn't enjoy the texture at all.  Reluctantly, a few mornings later I decided I better eat them before they went bad.  I scooped out a serving, popped them into the microwave to warm them up and added my usual toppings to them.  Imagine how happy I was to find out that after them sitting in the fridge a day they actually changed their texture.  There wasn't anymore sliminess to them and they were wonderful!  So now, when I want steel cut oats I make them the night before and store them in the fridge.  It makes life a lot easier in the morning even if they weren't better after "resting" in the fridge overnight.  Give it a try if you are like me and find oats to be a little slimy after first cooking them.


Chai Spiced Steel Cut Oats



















Ingredients
1 serving cooked steel cut oats (or oatmeal)
1/2 cup milk
1 chai flavored tea bag
1/8 teaspoon cardamon
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cinnamon stick
3 whole cloves
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon agave nectar

Directions
1. Warm milk in microwave until hot, about 1 1/2 minutes.  Add cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamon, ginger and tea bag to milk, let steep for 5 minutes.
2. Warm oats to desired temp if you pre-made them the night before.  Add vanilla to warmed oats.
3. Add steeped milk to oats, top with agave and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment