Thursday, February 9, 2012

Eggs Poached in Tomatoes


This is a recipe I learned for my step-father, Rocky.  He made it for us when we were visiting him and my mom in Arizona.  I was a little weary about it at first, I'll admit it doesn't look that appetizing when you first see it, but it is so good...just trust me on this!  You'll need some really crusty bread to mop up all the yummy juices, my favorite is sour dough.


Eggs Poached in Tomatoes


Ingredients
8 slices of bacon, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 cup diced celery
2 10.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes w/green chilies (If you can't find the can of tomatoes with the green chilies you can get regular diced tomatoes and add a small can of diced green chilies)
6 eggs
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. In a large skillet (you'll need a lid) render bacon for a few minutes, add onion and celery, cook until tender and bacon is crispy.  If your bacon has a lot of bacon fat you might want to drain some of it out.
2. Add both cans of tomatoes with juices to the skillet and bring to a boil.  Sometimes I find that the tomatoes don't have enough juice in them so I add a little bit of water, about 1/2 cup.

3. Once the juices have started to boil add the eggs, you should be able to add about 6 eggs at a time if your skillet is large enough. Season eggs with salt and pepper.  Reduce heat to medium and cover skillet with lid.  Cook until eggs are done to your likeness.



No comments:

Post a Comment