Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Caramelized Onion & Almond Quinoa


Quinoa, oh quinoa, where have you been all my life?  Quinoa is my new found best friend.  I love the simplistic-ness (yes I just made that word up) of it.  It blends so well with so many different flavor combinations.  I haven't tried yet, but I bet you could even sweeten it up and make a dessert out of it. (note to self...try this idea SOON!)  Did you know that quinoa is actually a seed?  Here I was thinking it was a grain.  Quinoa is gluten-free and loaded with iron and protein!  And it's considered a "super food," at least on some of the Super Foods lists I have looked at on the web.  If you haven't tried it yet give it a taste.  I found quinoa at my local health food store and they sell it in bulk, which, now that I know I love it, I need to go back and by pounds more of it! :)


Caramelized Onion & Almond Quinoa

Ingredients
1 medium yellow onion, sliced in half rings about 1/4" thick
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1 serving quinoa, prepared according to directions (or see below for the way I prepare them)
1/2 tablespoon flavored olive oil and salt & pepper for garnish
Directions
1. Prepare quinoa according to package directions, set aside.  Toast almonds either in a 350 degree oven for 4-5 minutes or in a warm skillet for 3-4 minutes, set aside.
2. In a medium skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and onions.  Allow onions to caramelize, stirring occasionally, for approximately 20 minutes, or until onions are soft, brown and sweet.  Add garlic to onions and allow to cook for approximately 2 minutes or until soft, stirring often so garlic doesn't burn.
3. In a bowl combine quinoa, onions, garlic, and almonds.  Top with a drizzle of your favorite olive oil and salt and pepper.


1 comment:

  1. This sounds wonderful and I love your idea for your blog. I'll be back to check your recipes. Have a wonderful evening. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete