Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Sweet Potato Enchiladas


One of my favorite happy occurrences is when I have no idea what to cook for dinner, I look around my kitchen, see one main item, have a brainstorm of what to make and then realize I actually have all the ingredients I need to make it!  That's what happened the other night.  I saw the sweet potatoes sitting in my veggie basket and thought, "oh I better use those soon before they go bad, what kind of Mexican dish can I make with them??" (I was CRAVING Mexican food, which is normal for me)  Then I remembered a Pinterest recipe I saw a while ago for a sweet potato enchilada, but of course I didn't pin it so I couldn't find it.  Therefore, I came up with my own recipe.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.


Sweet Potato Enchiladas
















Ingredients
2 medium-large sweet potatoes
3 oz softened cream cheese
1/2 cup black beans
3 stalks green onions, diced (reserve 2 tablespoons for garnish)
corn tortillas (I made 8 enchiladas)
1 can red enchilada sauce
Mexican cheese

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Use 3 tablespoons of enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 13x9 baking dish to prevent the enchiladas from sticking.
2. Peel and dice sweet potatoes, boil potatoes until fork tender.  Drain and smash.  Add cream cheese, black beans, 1/2 cup of cheese and green onions to potatoes and mix.
3. Place tortillas in microwave for 20 seconds to soften.  Put approximately 3 tablespoons of the sweet potato mixture into a tortilla, roll, place into a baking dish seam-side down.  Repeat until sweet potato mixture is gone.
4. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over enchiladas, top with cheese.  Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and place in oven.  Bake for 30 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted.  Allow enchiladas to rest approximately 10-15 minutes before cutting into them.




No comments:

Post a Comment