Friday, February 24, 2012

Open Faced Egg Sandwich



Sometimes I am completely at a loss when it comes to breakfast.  My first thought is always something sweet; pancakes, french toast, waffles, etc.  So it's even worse when it comes to something savory for breakfast.  There are a few things that I ALWAYS have in my house, mainly because they are things my 3 year old WILL eat without a fight.  One of those things are avocados, even when they aren't in season I buy them because he will eat them like candy.  This particular morning I had an avocado that was in need of eating soon so I thought. . . and I thought. . . and I thought. . .and this is what I came up with.


Open Faced Egg Sandwich
















Ingredients
1 slice whole wheat bread, toasted
2 slices tomato
4-5 avocado slices
1 egg
2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. Poach egg: this is how I do it- fill a small sauce pan 1/2 the way with water and a splash of white vinegar.  Bring water just to a boil.  Slowly and easily add the egg to the water and allow to boil (slow boil) for about 4 minutes.  I like my yolks mostly cooked so if you like yours a little runnier cook it for about 2 1/2 to 3 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, toast your bread.  Layer toast with tomato slices (I season with salt and pepper on each layer) and avocado slices.  Top with poached egg, parmesan cheese and additional salt and pepper.


No comments:

Post a Comment