Friday, February 24, 2012

Buffalo Chicken Tacos



I am a huge fan of buffalo chicken.  Honestly my favorite is the appetizer from Apple Bee's, the buffalo chicken bites with blue cheese dressing for dipping...yum-e!  So, when I saw a recipe for buffalo chicken tacos my first thought was, "Oh that's going to be so good." and my second thought was, "Why didn't I ever think of that?" (I say this to myself a lot when I see creative things that I wish I had thought of!)  I kept putting off making these tacos because I'm really the only one in the house that likes buffalo chicken.  My hubby likes his chicken wings (or chicken bites) in a sweet sauce, usually like a sweet BBQ.  Finally one night, when my hubby was away for work, I made them.  I only coated the pieces of chicken I was going to eat in the wing sauce, it actually worked out well.  My 3 year old ate chicken bites with ranch dressing, my 13 year old had chicken tacos and I had buffalo chicken tacos!


Buffalo Chicken Tacos
adapted from Mrs. Regueiro's Plate

Ingredients
1 pound chicken breasts, skinless, boneless, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/3 cup flour
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
10 6-inch corn tortillas (cooked or warmed to your desired likeness)
Toppings
Diced avocados
Diced green onions
Cilantro
Blue cheese dressing (see recipe below)

Directions
1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
2. In a large bowl, combine cornstarch, flour, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder.  Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper then dredge in the flour mixture.
3. Add olive oil to skillet and once it's hot add the chicken.  Cook on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.  When chicken is done, toss in wing sauce.
4. Assemble tacos with toppings of your choice.

Blue Cheese Dressing
Note: This mixture will be runnier than a traditional blue cheese dressing.  If you want it thick, reduce the amount of buttermilk you put in the mix.

Ingredients
1/3 cup sour cream
1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
1/4 cup buttermilk
splash of vinegar
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt & pepper

Directions
1. Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl.
2. Allow to refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend together.



No comments:

Post a Comment