Thursday, February 9, 2012

Blueberry Honey Almond Pancakes


Can I be perfectly honest with you guys?  I've never really been a breakfast person.  Truth be told I would prefer to skip breakfast, wait until about 11:00am and have an early lunch.  But lately, since I started doing this blog, I've been having hundreds of breakfast ideas running through my head.  I barely get my eyes fully opened before I'm in the kitchen making something new and exciting for breakfast.  These pancakes were one of those ideas that had me tossing and turning in bed the night before.  As I laid my head down on my pillow to drift off to sleep I had visions of . . . NO, not sugarplums . . . blueberry pancakes, but not just any blueberry pancakes, blueberry pancakes with sliced almonds and sweet honey! YUM-E!  Please try them!


Blueberry Honey Almond Pancakes
adapted from  Mom's Big Book of Baking















Ingredients

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I actually used wheat flour)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
1 large egg
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 tablespoons honey, melted and cooled
1 1/2 cups frozen or fresh blueberries
1/3 cup sliced almonds

Directions
1. Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
2. Measure the milk into a large glass measuring cup.  Crack egg into the cup and beat lightly with a fork to break up the egg.  Stir in cooled butter and honey.
3. Pour liquid ingredients into the mixing bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until the dry ingredients are moistened.  Don't worry if there are some small lumps.  Add blueberries and almonds and mix lightly being careful not to break up the blueberries too much.
4. Spray the surface of a griddle or large skillet with cooking spray.  Heat it over medium-high heat.
5. For each pancake, spoon or ladle about 1/4 cup batter onto the surface.  Cook each pancake until the top begins to bubble and the bottom is golden, 2 to 3 minutes.  Check occasionally to make sure the pancakes arent' cooking too quickly, and adjust the heat if necessary.  Flip each pancake and cook it until it is golden on the second side, an additional minute or two.  Serve pancakes immediately with maple syrup, powdered sugar or melted butter and cinnamon sugar.
6.  Pancakes can be kept warm in a preheated 200 degree oven on a platter loosely covered with aluminum foil if necessary.


No comments:

Post a Comment