Blueberry Honey Almond Pancakes
adapted from Mom's Big Book of Baking
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I actually used wheat flour)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
1 large egg
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 tablespoons honey, melted and cooled
1 1/2 cups frozen or fresh blueberries
1/3 cup sliced almonds
1. Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
2. Measure the milk into a large glass measuring cup. Crack egg into the cup and beat lightly with a fork to break up the egg. Stir in cooled butter and honey.
3. Pour liquid ingredients into the mixing bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until the dry ingredients are moistened. Don't worry if there are some small lumps. Add blueberries and almonds and mix lightly being careful not to break up the blueberries too much.
4. Spray the surface of a griddle or large skillet with cooking spray. Heat it over medium-high heat.
5. For each pancake, spoon or ladle about 1/4 cup batter onto the surface. Cook each pancake until the top begins to bubble and the bottom is golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Check occasionally to make sure the pancakes arent' cooking too quickly, and adjust the heat if necessary. Flip each pancake and cook it until it is golden on the second side, an additional minute or two. Serve pancakes immediately with maple syrup, powdered sugar or melted butter and cinnamon sugar.
6. Pancakes can be kept warm in a preheated 200 degree oven on a platter loosely covered with aluminum foil if necessary.