Saturday, February 25, 2012

Grilled Guacamole & Cheese Sandwich



Let me just tell you how adorable my 3 year old son is.  One day we were out running errands and we stopped for lunch.  Normally his "go-to" lunch is a corn dog, but this place didn't have corn dogs so I asked him if he wanted a "grilled cheese sandwich" and he said, "mom, I'm not a girl."  A little confused I told him I knew he wasn't a girl and asked him again if he wanted a grilled cheese sandwich.  This time he said, "well don't they have a boy cheese sandwich since I'm a boy."  Apparently when I say 'grilled' it sounds like 'girl' to him.  So now, in our house, when our 3 year old is around, we call our 'grilled cheese sandwiches' 'boy cheese sandwiches' instead.

This sandwich is really tasty.  What could be better than melty cheese and creamy guacamole?  Not much, if you ask me.


Grilled Guacamole and Cheese Sandwich
adapted from Two Peas & Their Pods

Ingredients
To make the guacamole:
1 ripe avocado
1 roma tomato (or 1/2 a large tomato), diced
1/2 jalapeno, stems and seeds removed, minced
1 stalk green onion, diced
1/2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
salt and pepper to taste

4 slices crusty white bread
4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
butter, for buttering bread

Directions
1. Make the guacamole: combine avocado, tomato, jalapeno, green onion, lime juice, cilantro and salt and pepper in a small bowl.  Set aside.
2. Butter one side of each piece of bread, on opposite sides place one slice of cheese.  Add guacamole to two slices of bread and top with remaining slices.
3.  On a hot griddle pan (or large skillet), grill sandwiches until cheese is melty, approximately 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment